Edited: Louisiana is scheming to spend over $11 million to send 1,365 students to 20 private schools that learn creationism instead of scholarship as partial of Governor Bobby Jindal’s new document program. It is time to hindrance a doing of this creationist document program.
It is increasingly transparent that one of Governor Jindal’s primary preparation goals is a training of creationism. He supported, signed, and defended a Louisiana Science Education Act (LSEA), Louisiana’s 2008 secrecy creationism law, that allows teachers to hide creationism into open propagandize scholarship classrooms by regulating creationist supplemental materials. Despite conference from 78 Nobel laureate scientists who urged him to dissolution a law given training creationism is both bad scholarship and unconstitutional, Jindal instead shielded a law.
Now Governor Jindal has upheld a voucher plan that provides millions of taxpayer dollars to private schools that learn creationism and whose curriculum doesn’t accommodate a state’s authorized scholarship standards.
My examination of a Governor’s document module identifies during slightest 20 schools who use a creationist curriculum or blatantly foster creationism on their websites. These 19 schools have been awarded 1,365 document slots and can accept as most as $11,602,500 in taxpayer income annually.
- The handbook of a Claiborne Christian School, in West Monroe, LA, says that students are taught to “discern and rebut lies ordinarily found in [secular] textbooks, college classrooms, and in a media.” In a Jan 2010 propagandize newsletter, a principal promotes young-earth creationist articulate points from Answers in Genesis, saying, “Our position during CCS on a age of a Earth and other issues is that any speculation that goes opposite God’s Word is in error.” She also claims that scientists are “sinful men” perplexing to explain a universe “without God” so they don’t have to be “morally accountable to Him.” CCS has 28 document slots and can accept adult to $238,000 in open money.
- The tyro handbook of Faith Academy, in Gonzalez, LA, says that as a Household of Faith school, students contingency “defend creationism by justification presented by a Bible verses [sic] normal systematic theory.” FA has 38 document slots and can accept adult to $323,000 in open money.
- Ascension Christian High School, in Gonzales, also a Household of Faith school is Faith Academy’s high propagandize campus. It has 80 document slots and can accept adult to $680,000 in open money.
- Northeast Baptist School, in West Monroe, uses ABeka and Bob Jones University scholarship textbooks. Researcher and author Rachel Tabachnick, who examined these textbooks, reports that it is “clear that no instruction is enclosed in a calm that would dispute with immature earth creationism.” Using such books endangers a educational prospects of students in Christian schools. In 2010, a University of California won a sovereign lawsuit, ASCI [Association of Christian Schools International] v. Stearns, in that a decider ruled in preference of UC’s right to exclude to commend high propagandize credits for scholarship classes taken in Christian schools that used such books. UC contended that such instruction is “inconsistent with a viewpoints and believe generally supposed in a systematic community.” NBS has 40 document slots and can accept adult to $340,000 in open money.
- Northlake Christian Elementary School, in Covington, LA, teaches scholarship regulating both ASCI’s “Purposeful Design Series” and ABeka materials. One Purposeful Design science notebook requires students to “discuss your thoughts about how a complexity of a dungeon shows that it contingency be purposefully designed.” NCES, that specifies that “all curricular calm is filtered by and presented within a Christian worldview,” has 20 document slots and can accept adult to $170,000 in open money.
- Northlake Christian High School in Covington uses a physical scholarship text though also “integrate[s]” element from “biblical-young-earth, Christian/Creationists,” according to Northlake’s high propagandize biology teacher. He uses sources from Creation Ministries International, Answers in Genesis, and a Institute for Creation Research. This clergyman also quotes a creationist book that says, “No coherent, cohesive divinity has nonetheless been offering that would concede Christians to welcome expansion with integrity.” Disturbingly, NCHS’s student handbook includes a taste process opposite impending students and staff who do not accommodate “Biblical standards.” NCHS has 30 document slots and can accept adult to $255,000 in open money.
- New Living Word School, operated by New Living Word Ministries in Ruston, LA, teaches a students with “an enlightening DVD that intersperses Biblical verses with subjects such [as] chemistry.” The propagandize substantially uses ABeka materials. According to the website, a church combined a module for dangling and diminished Lincoln Parish open propagandize students regulating “the A-Beka Christian Academy Homeschooling Program.” On tip of all of this, a NLW School doesn’t even have a comforts to accommodate document students. Nonetheless, it has 315 document slots and can accept adult to $2,677,500 in open money.
- Eternity Christian Academy in Westlake, LA, uses a barbarous ACE (Accelerated Christian Education) curriculum. Curriculum publisher ACE Ministries is guided by “God’s Mandate for Christian Education,” in that evolutionary speculation is described as “extremely deleterious to children away and to multitude as a whole” given it “denies a element of a individual’s accountability” to God. ECA has 135 document slots and can accept adult to $1,147,500 in open money.
- Gethsemane Christian Academy, in Lafayette, LA, doesn’t seem to have a website, though a National Center for Education Statistics records that it uses a ACE Curriculum. GCA has 100 document slots and can accept adult to $850,000 in open money.
- The Upperroom Bible Church Academy, in New Orleans, says their “curriculum is contingent on a biblical philosophy” and according to a National Center for Education Statistics they use a ACE curriculum. They also explain to blatantly try to modify their students, observant “we try to win all unsaved students to Jesus Christ.” On tip of this, a large numbers of bad reviews from relatives seem to advise a propagandize cares about income most some-more than a students. The Upperroom Bible Church Academy has 167 document slots and can accept adult to $1,419,500 in open income annually.
- Jehovah-Jireh Christian Academy, in Baton Rouge uses both a ASCI Purposeful Design and ABeka curricula in scholarship classes. JJA has 30 document slots and can accept adult to $255,000 in open money.
- New Orleans Adventist Academy teaches a creationist curriculum, according to a New Orleans newspaper, Gambit. A science curriculum guide from a Southwest Region Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists, to that NOAA belongs, shows that Adventist schools learn children that “God, in 6 verbatim days, done a heavens and a earth.” The beam contains references both to young-earth and intelligent pattern creationist sources. NOAA has 100 document slots and can accept adult to $850,000 in open money.
- Greater Mt. Olive Christian Academy, in Baton Rouge, uses a ABeka curriculum. GMOCA has 50 document slots and can accept adult to $425,000 in open money.
- Faith Christian Academy, in Marrero, LA, uses a ABeka textbooks. FCA has 38 document slots and can accept adult to $323,000 in open money.
- Victory Christian Academy, in Metairie, LA, uses ABeka and Bob Jones curricula. Its philosophy of scholarship education is “to rise students in beliefs of science. . . training them to observe relations and laws as determined by God’s artistic hand” and that “any training of male that is discordant to a transparent bargain of scripture is in error.” VCA has 8 document slots and can accept adult to $68,000 in open money.
- Lafayette Christian Academy, in Lafayette, LA, uses Bob Jones and ABeka. Its “primary objective” is to learn students “without compromising a Word of God.” LCA has 4 document slots and can accept adult to $34,000 in open money.
- Cenla Christian Academy, in Pineville, LA, uses a ABeka and Bob Jones curricula. CCA has 72 document slots and can accept adult to $612,000 in open money.
- Family Worship Christian Academy, in Opelousas, LA, offers “a sensitive training sourroundings for a students utilizing A Beka curriculum.” FWCA has 66 document slots and can accept adult to $561,000 in open money.
- Trinity Christian Academy, in Zachary, LA, explained around e-mail that it uses ABeka to learn high propagandize science. TCA has been given 35 document slots and can accept adult to $297,500 in open money.
- Added: Old Bethel Christian Academy, in Clarks, uses ABeka they explained in an email. They have been given 59 document slots and can accept adult to $501,500 in open money.
The schools listed here might be usually a tip of a iceberg. The loyal series of creationist document schools authorized to accept unconstitutionally wasted taxpayer dollars underneath Governor Jindal’s document module could be significantly higher.
My research above lists usually those schools that categorically acknowledge teaching creationism or creationist curriculum. Many some-more schools listed as authorized by Governor’s document module are substantially also formulation to use creationist textbooks, given many of these are self-identified Christian academies that seem really identical in law to a ones I’ve listed above.
The fact that these schools are training creationism isn’t a usually problem. BeauVer Christian School in DeRidder can’t even accommodate a glow code and has been indicted of financial improprieties, lawsuits have been filed to stop a doing of a program, and a creators of a state module have already displayed major reliable lapses in perplexing to cover adult their disaster to sufficient examination schools requesting for vouchers .
Governor Jindal claims that he combined a document module given private schools would offer a improved preparation for Louisiana students. The law is that schools that learn creationism will give a students a worse education. Schools that learn creationism and do not accommodate Louisiana’s state scholarship standards will not give a students a improved preparation and have no business receiving open funds.
Since a justification for this module has depressed flat, Governor Jindal and a Department of Education should not exercise it.
Every document propagandize that taxpayers support with open dollars should be compulsory to recover a training materials for investigation by a public, usually as all open schools are compulsory to do.
Governor Jindal contingency do a right thing for Louisiana students and hindrance his document program’s doing before any supports are allocated to schools that learn creationism instead of justification formed science.
Governor Jindal has been named Governor Romney’s preparation surrogate. That Governor Jindal could be nominated for Vice President by Governor Romney or be his Secretary of Education means that signing this Change.Org petition to hindrance a unconstitutional and creationist Louisiana document module is even some-more urgent.